My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Michigan, United States

Spent a long career making lots of money for other people. Now it's my turn. _____________________________ Email: erikivanjames@gmail.com

Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Real World Returns, Again

Several months ago, I gritted my teeth and sucked in my gut as I watched what had been a couple of very promising business deals head south with unexpected rapidity and on to oblivion. As they disappeared into the abyss, there I stood, empty hands and naked on the corner.

While in the process of trying to suture the resultant deep wounds, my wife, in her dual role as my mate and best friend, approached me with her recommendation that I turn the misfortune into a presented opportunity to write my book. Her recommendation included an analysis that with the combination of her income, our remaining but meager savings and a little "plastic" here and there we would be able to pay the bills for at least a few months so I should go-for-it. With high enthusiasm, I wound down my few remaining business projects and embarked upon my non-paying writing career.

About ten days ago, in mid-week, I arrived home after an enjoyable day of writing and blogging to find my wife's vehicle parked in the driveway. Although an unusual event during the work week, since she worked about 200 miles away, I was excited about her being home and only hoped it was not because of an illness. I went into the house, found Barbara seated at the kitchen table and said to her; "Wow, what a wonderful surprise! Did you decide to take a long weekend?"

"No" she replied, "I was 'downsized' today. I no longer have a job."

BOOM! The penny hit the floor.

What to say? But I said all that would come to my pea-sized brain; "I am really glad your are home! Let's enjoy that for a few days then we'll make a plan."

Well, it's planning time. With both my wife and I on the sunset side of our productive years, as far as the marketplace is concerned, it will not be an easy process. If I don't stop by your blog on a regular basis it is only because I'm out looking for a way to make some money. After all, that's what it's all about----is it not?

12 Comments:

Blogger Jaye Wells said...

Erik, so sorry. It sounds like you and your wife are a wonderful team, though. I'm sending positive mojo your way.

Jaye

11:29 AM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Jason, thank you for the kind words and yes, the first comment today is fitting.

11:33 AM EST  
Blogger WannabeMe said...

Oh, no, Erik! That really stinks. But don't stop writing! Some of my best writing came when I was down in the dumps. We're here for you!

12:18 PM EST  
Blogger Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

I'm whicha homey...

It has been said that God will never give you more than you can handle...I think he has a really good sense of humor.

4:21 PM EST  
Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

That totally sucks. You know that already, I know. I hope something turns up for you both. But don't stop writing. don't ever stop.

4:36 PM EST  
Blogger Bernita said...

Oh Erik, terrible.
After the plans and hopes and sacrifice.
But. It WILL come right.
Keep the faith, Dear Guy.

5:06 PM EST  
Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Erik, so sorry to hear of this. I hope this is only a little bump on the road to bigger and better things for both of you.

6:51 AM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Jaye: Thanks for the mojo--caught it. I'm not sure about my half of the team, but my wife's half sure is wonderful.

Dana: Thanks. Just knowing you are there is great comfort.

E. Anne: Thank you for the inspiration. You are correct, no matter how far I have been down in life, someone else comes along to remind me of, "Ah, but for the grace of God, there go I."

Lisa S.: Yes, I will with pleasure give my wife a hug from you. Then I will send you back hers.

R.J.: Well, you and I have been through a bunch together already so what's one more.

M.G: Thanks, and I won't stop writing. After all, I plan to be your best student---maybe your most frustrating, but your best.

Bernita: The sunshine of you, Dear Gal, warms my faith.

Sandra: Just knowing you is "better things".

9:23 AM EST  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

Tough break, Erik! I'm really sorry to hear this. Chin up!

Tanya

9:14 PM EST  
Blogger Mark Pettus said...

May I recommend reading Henry Miller's The Tropic of Cancer. He's considered a literary genius, and he spent years not knowing where his next meal was coming from.

You can do it. Cut your outgo, and you'll need less income. Find a small newspaper and ask for some stringer assignments.

9:36 PM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Tanya,

Thank you for stopping by, I am always honored when you do.

My "Just For Men" dark natural brown colored chin is up.

7:42 AM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Mark,

Thank you for stopping by, the reading recommendation and the sound advice.

I have already made contact with the publisher of the local area newspapers to request an appointment with her. She is willing to meet with me. Now, all I have to do is figure out what in hell it is I have to offer her.

7:46 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home