My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Michigan, United States

Spent a long career making lots of money for other people. Now it's my turn. _____________________________ Email: erikivanjames@gmail.com

Sunday, February 04, 2007

I Wonder Why

Tall; five-eleven. Long smooth muscled legs and firm buttocks of a swimmer. Snug faded jeans. Rubber boots trimmed in wool at the ankle. A brown leather jacket zipped to the center of her just slightly rounded belly. A burgundy sweater accented breasts that ride high and proud. A black cap---the logo said Smith & Wesson. A manner of confidence, of education. A model she might have been in her day…had she wanted to be. But the long dark-blonde hair, tinted silver now by time and the sun, says those days have come and gone.

She browsed shades of lip-gloss, eye shadow and blush in the ladies beauty aisle. Men walked near; most paused to take a second look. Some stopped to admire. Women came to her, to ask her opinion of colors for them. I didn’t wonder why.

She pointed at me with a tube of lipstick and motioned for me to come there. I smiled and honored her request. She smiled too, when I rubbed my hand across the back of her jeans and gave the cheeks of her butt a pat. A man behind me sighed with a groan. I didn’t wonder why.

In the small morning hours of the next day, she rolled over on her side to face me. She gently placed her hand on my chest; her long fingers combed through the hair. With sleep still fresh in her voice she said to me, “You thrash and you turn night after night. You wonder if you are ready to finish writing your book. I don’t wonder if you are. I know you are. Listen to me for a change…go and finish your book.”

Kenny Rogers said it for eternity in a song. He said, “She believes in me.”

I wonder why.

17 Comments:

Blogger ivan said...

You must have something, Erik.

All the lady bloggers seem enthralled by you.

Myself, I can wear Bermuda shorts just fine.

6:35 PM EST  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Is this every man's dream? I enjoyed the description. You do it so well. You just know how to bring those details into focus. Donnetta

8:32 PM EST  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Oh, I forgot to ask: are you going to? You know, go and finish your book? Just checking. Donnetta

11:11 PM EST  
Blogger EA Monroe said...

So? What's to wonder? Listen to the gorgeous lady and finish your book!!! Never doubt or wonder why, especially when your muse speaks. She has faith in you. How can that be wrong?

11:26 PM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Myself, I prefer jeans, Ivan.

6:51 AM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

~laughing~
Thank you, Donnetta. My wife, though, thought I overdid the description a bit. The didn't appreciate my description of her "slightly rounded belly".

On your second question: I'm going to try.

6:56 AM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

I've seen that your own muse speaks often and clearly to you, EA. Keep listening to yours too.

6:59 AM EST  
Blogger Bernita said...

Why I have called you a Dear Guy.
Your beautiful Barbara.
Listen to her.

7:31 AM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

And you, Bernita, I call Dear Gal.

12:16 PM EST  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Well, any of us with our rounded bellies could have warned you about that one! As to the book: Go forth and conquer! Donnetta

7:49 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, finish your book! I love writing. Same with the above story. We're so lucky to have great partners in life!

Thanks for sharing!

8:11 PM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

You are welcome, Spyscribbler. But I thank you for stopping by.

12:22 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello I just dropped in from Bernita Harris Site. God Bless You.

http://www.freewebs.com/friendsareagift

http://www.freewebs.com/friendsareagift2

8:02 AM EST  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

Erik, you rock. :-) Loved this one.

NOW FINISH THE DAMNED BOOK!

11:03 PM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Thank you for dropping by, Bonnie. You are always welcome here.

6:55 AM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Ahh, Tanya, you swell my heart. Umm...and my head. ~grinning~

I'm working hard on it, Tanya. Thank you for the "push".

6:57 AM EST  
Blogger Jo said...

Erik, that's lovely. I'll bet you're a very romantic guy. Lucky girl :-)

I love Kenny Rogers. "You decorated my life..."

Thanks for the thoughtful comment on my sad little post on my blog. Sigh. It will work out.

Cheers,
Josie

10:28 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home