My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Michigan, United States

Spent a long career making lots of money for other people. Now it's my turn. _____________________________ Email: erikivanjames@gmail.com

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Hobbies 'n Stuff

Yesterday, http://bernitaharris.blogspot.com put up a very interesting post regarding her observations on our various writing personalities. Good stuff, Bernita!

In addition, we see post-up's from time to time on personal reading interests, preferred story endings, preferences on use of profanity in our writings, personal viewpoints on the publishing industry and the like. Some of us even show our many faces http://sandrablabber.blogspot.com. Through these various topics and few pictures, we realize an opportunity to know each other better and beyond the profile we each choose to place at our individual blog home page. Unfortunately, almost all of us will never have the opportunity to meet and shake hands.

I have chosen for my post today to ask you to share with the rest of us your personal passion that is aside from writing. That being what it is you enjoy most, on a personal level, when you manage to dig up some free time that belongs to just you. Some examples might be that in your free time you are; a woodworker, an artist, a musician, a swimmer, a movie-goer, a stamp collector, an astronomer, a prospector....................

I'm an outdoors enthusiast. My recreational enjoyment comes from camping, hunting and fishing. When harsh weather confines me to the indoors, I hand-load my own ammo for hunting or make my own little artificial bugs for fishing. My ammo never bags much game and my bugs never catch many fish but, that ain't the point.

You?

12 Comments:

Blogger Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

I really like to sail on Lake Michigan, though it's been a few summers since I have been able to.

Playing the guitar is another favorite.

Oil painting is becoming an intense interest as of late.

I am also developing an interest in handguns, probably because, as a mystery writer, handguns typically play a large roll in the story line.

9:36 AM EST  
Blogger Shesawriter said...

Reading is my passion. Also movies. I love to lose myself in a good one.

Tanya

10:13 AM EST  
Blogger Bernita said...

Mine has changed over the years, fishing/ art/ herb gardening/refinishing furniture/woods strolls - but always, always reading...with a sufficiency of lobster sandwiches beside me.

10:33 AM EST  
Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

I love traveling. Just love to explore new places, meet new people.

And most of where I travel is steeped in history - I love ruins and monuments and relics of days gone by.

I also love hiking in the Rockies.

And chocolate.

1:23 PM EST  
Blogger WannabeMe said...

Sleep. A good night's uninterrupted sleep. I'm a simple gal.

3:42 PM EST  
Blogger Jaye Wells said...

Reading is a huge one. Always has been, always will. But I suspect that's a common thread with this group.

I also enjoy learning. I love to take continuing ed classes through local colleges. I have taken writing, painting, art framing, interior design, and a few others. I would love to go back to school. A local university has a masters of liberal arts degree where you can pick and choose subjects to basically design your own course work. How fun is that?

Also I am a history, art, and travel buff. I don't get to indulge this as much as I'd like with a young kiddo though. But now he's getting old enough so I can take him to museums and help him learn about our civilization through art and history.

5:25 PM EST  
Blogger Jeff said...

Golf, it's a wonderful way to frustrate myself. lol

10:12 PM EST  
Blogger WannabeMe said...

Bardawill, if CURLING can be an olympic sport, I'm sure Jello wrestling has a chance.

11:39 PM EST  
Blogger Buffy said...

Good hard exercise. The kind that makes you sweat and fall over if you're not careful.

3:18 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People. Have. Other. Lives? Is that what is referred to as reality? Sorry but I'm off planet most days, so I have no life. I was a world champion Tiddly Winks champion for a year! Does that count? ;-)

9:11 PM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Jeff: Welcome. I used to play golf and loved it. Need to get the sticks back out and dusted off.

Buffy: Thank you for stopping by. Hope to see you often. Exercise, I sure need some of that. About 30 lbs. worth!

Alexandra: And a big welcome to you. That's why I posted this. To find out if writers did have other lives.

5:58 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a total failure at hobbies, although I try to do the "when in Rome" thing––enjoying what's available.

When I lived in Alaska I snowboarded and rode snowmobiles.

In Hawaii I learned scuba, tried to surf a longboard and bought a used Hobie-Cat.

In Montana I flyfish and shoot at deer, geese and pheasant, occasionally hitting something.

But really, my passion is my family and my work.

12:27 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home