My Photo
Name:
Location: Central Michigan, United States

Spent a long career making lots of money for other people. Now it's my turn. _____________________________ Email: erikivanjames@gmail.com

Saturday, February 10, 2007

"e-shit"

It appears to me the majority of the U.S. population is addicted to money, celebrity and electronics. Sucks, doesn’t it? I prefer sex and alcohol...and I save the drink for later, thank you.

A couple of mornings ago, while sitting on the john, I browsed through the February 2007 issue of Consumer Reports. I found there a short review on an electronic book reader, which prompts this post.

The Consumer Reports article is about the Sony Reader. The article says in part:

“The Sony Reader, $350, is the latest attempt to make the paperless book a best seller. Roughly the size of a trade paperback ...”

The article goes on to describe various features of the product.

This article piqued my interest because of the decision I will someday have to make regarding whether or not to query my writing to traditional print publishers or, e-publishers. Print-pub vs. e-pub has been a topic of discussion that I have seen many times here on the blogs. But, it was a fragment of the article ending sentence in CR that really grabbed my attention. The sentence fragment says:

“...and don’t mind paying a premium for something whose sequel might be better and cheaper.”

The magic word to me in the quote above? Sequel.

A couple of years ago, when I became a serious “wannabe” writer, I said to a friend, “Fuck e-pub, no way! If I write a good book, I want it to be published with ink and paper.” I think I lied. I am now coming to the conclusion that e-pub---for fiction anyway---will be where-it’s-at in the not too distant future...if not already.

And, I heard on the radio this morning that Michigan’s Governor is proposing a 50% cut in state funding to our libraries. That sucks too.

12 Comments:

Blogger Bernita said...

I don't think you are the only one, Erik.

12:17 PM EST  
Blogger ivan said...

This is at one time the age of great information while at the same time abysmal ignorance.
Lots is explained, but nobody really knows anything.
Definitely the age of the average person with a penchant for gadgets.
And all the while, we go to war.
Led by idiots.
There can not be a great novel because it will soon be deconstructed. There can not be a great religion, because it too will be deconstructed.
Our thought leaders?
It's Marxism, writ large.
All over Hollywood.
(No I'm not Eugene McCarthy...and if you don't know who Eugene McCarty was, then I might just be proving my point).

Ivan

9:18 AM EST  
Blogger ivan said...

p.s.:

I like the new essay approach to your post.
It is worthy of you.

9:21 AM EST  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

I also heard that the Sony Reader won't read the number one way ebooks are created; so you have to buy the titles available on their website. Poo-ey to that!

Terrible, terrible thing about the library. I'm sorry!

2:45 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly, Erik, they've been saying the same thing for over ten years now. I think, at our advanced age, we're save to go with paper and ink.

9:09 AM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

~laughing~
That's a relief, Bernita. Usually I find myself standing alone and naked on the corner.

2:35 PM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Thank you, Ivan.

2:35 PM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Yes it is terrible about the library funding proposal here, Spyscribbler. I wonder if it has anything to do with utilization statistics of libraries these days?

2:37 PM EST  
Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

At our advanced ages, Ric, we sure have seen a lot, haven't we? First the invention of paper and ink...and now....

2:39 PM EST  
Blogger ivan said...

Hey Erik (hic!),

If you stand on the streetcorner, don't forget the long raincoat and the false pantlegs with their suspenders.

Ivan

10:45 PM EST  
Blogger EA Monroe said...

Hi Erik, I'm out spreading a few random acts of sweetness around The Gazebo today. Happy Valentine's Day!

Oh, San says Happy Valentine's Day to Libby and Bug, too! She told me not to forget!

3:04 PM EST  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Hi, Erik: I think Miss Lizzy and I are following each other around tonight! Just wanted to say Happy Valentine's Day. Donnetta

11:10 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home